Our Scrap Book
Catholics surrounding St. Anthony's were initially served by travelling priests
from the Oshawa area. In the year 1858, a frame church was built in Georgina Township
on the Sixth Concession, now Highway 48, in Virginia on a two acre lot given by
Anthony Charpentier. In 1903, a new brick church was built with stained glass
memorial windows. The cost of the church was $600.all of which was paid.
Church has remained basically the same but some changes have taken place. In the
1960's the altar was changed because of Vatican II; in the 1970's the Highway
was widened and we lost some of our front lawn; in the 1980's the vault and outhouse
were demolished and the parking lot extended; in the 1990's a well and a bathroom
were installed and the sacristy was remodeled..
Dorothy and Leonard Matt
are examples of the dedication and hard work of the parishioners. They were presented
with the Bene Merenti Medal by Cardinal Carter for having served St. Anthony's
Church for 60 years. Len used to tell about working late at the hotel and stopping
by the church on his way home to start the fire in the furnace for Sunday morning.
and Dorothy were joined by other parishioners who helped as well. Charlie Burnie
has made a lot of repairs to the church through the years. Jim Matt carries on
the family tradition of taking up the offering each Sunday. Andy O'Neill also
took up the collection, taught catechism and served on the cemetery committee.
Dennis Salt, our previous organist, prayed for an organ and through the generosity
of parishioners the present organ was bought and paid for in 6 months. The ladies
of the church held several bake sales on the lawn every summer, there is no church
hall. do you rmember the smell of those fresh baked goodies, some of them still
warm from the oven? We would like to thank each and every one of the volunteers
for their work and devotion to St. Anthony's Church.
with descendants of the original parishioners brings back memories of summer school,
picnics, strawberry socials, teas and bake sales. They worked, prayed and played
together making this church and the community the place we love and call home.Georgina